Pediatric Sleep Consultant Core Program
Pediatric Sleep Consultants (also known as Child Sleep Consultants, Baby Sleep Consultants, Baby Sleep Coaches, and Infant Sleep Coaches) are people with various backgrounds who help families struggling with behavioral childhood sleep problems. They are good listeners with solid communication skills, and they are passionate about helping others.
Families turn to the Child Sleep Consultant for a wide range of sleep issues: frequent night wakings, short naps, early morning wakings, resisting falling asleep, nightmares, moving to a separate room, and many others. Sleep consultants help children achieve healthy sleep and advise parents on how to solve various behavioral sleep problems.
Although pediatric sleep consultants are not medical providers, pediatricians often refer families to them when children need some type of individualized sleep coaching. These consultants fill the need for educated professionals who can solve most behavioral sleep problems with children.
Millions of families need support and guidance to help their children sleep better. Our program will help you learn all the needed skills to become a successful Pediatric Sleep Consultant.
Are you looking for a career transformation? Or maybe you are just searching for a part-time role for added income? Our program is created for everyone. We deliver knowledge in clear, accessible terms, enabling you to confidently step into this new role!
This is more than just a job – it's an opportunity to make a real difference. Improve children's sleep, bring relief to families. No matter who you are, this path is open to you.
A certification in Pediatric Sleep Consulting is also suitable for professionals who have a background in related fields, such as midwives, nurses, lactation consultants, child care professionals, preschool teachers, and child psychologists. Our program helps these professionals extend their knowledge of child sleep and learn new approaches for solving behavioral childhood sleep problems. In this way, they can add value to their patients or clients.
This is a self-paced distance learning program. You can take all of the classes from the comfort of your home.
It typically takes about 3 months to complete the program if you study 6 - 8 hours per week.
This certification is not an online badge or a certificate you can obtain in a hurry. The Pediatric Sleep Consultant Core Program certificate indicates to parents that you have invested in a robust training program, one that is grounded in credible practices and methods. In a field where the first thing parents often look for is trust, having a recognized certification shows you are serious and committed to your role as a sleep consultant.
The average price for a single 90-minute consultation ranges from $200 to $500, depending on the consultant's experience and location.
Online consulting with follow-up calls (for 1 family) costs between $800 and $1,500. It can include:
- Sleep consultation: a 90-minute virtual call
- Personalized sleep plan: it takes about 2 hours to create the plan
- 4 weeks (on average) of Q&A support (virtual via FB Messenger / Snapchat / WhatsApp/ Viber) - 10-20 mins per day answering additional questions or adapting the personalised sleep plan according to the child’s needs.
How much should you charge as a consultant? How many families can you help per month? This is your business and it will be your decision to make.
Some of the reasons most graduates decide to become certified pediatric sleep consultants
Profitable and Rewarding Business
Helping the Community
Balance family and work
Our graduates work on their own terms
Some of our graduates come from careers such as midwives, nurses, child care, preschool teachers, child psychologists, and lactation consultants. Our program helped these professionals extend their knowledge of child sleep and learn new approaches for solving behavioral childhood sleep problems. In this way, they can add value to their patients or clients.
Program Approved by WACSC
The International Institute of Infant Sleep provides a Core program where you will be able to acquire the fundamental knowledge and skills to become a successful child sleep consultant. Our learning materials are backed up by reliable sources: scientific journals, articles created by medical experts and industry leaders, and textbooks written by prominent authors and scientists.
IMS511 Science of Sleep
In this course students learn:
- Neurobiology of sleep and wakefulness
- Sleep-wake regulation
- Circadian rhythms and how they affect sleep and health
- An in-depth look into children's sleep
- How sleep patterns change with age
- Newborns and Infants Sleep
- Toddlers sleep
- Young children sleep
- Pubertal development and sleep
- Sleep and dreams
- Why should we encourage healthy sleep habits?
IMS101 Introduction to Pediatric Sleep Consulting
An introduction to Pediatric Sleep Consulting. The role of the child sleep consultant: students review expectations and boundaries.
- The role of the sleep consultant
- Limits of professional competency
- What are some of the ways that pediatric sleep consultants can help families?
- Pediatric sleep consultant skills & qualifications
- The importance of tuning in: Building positive relationships with parents
- Communication from the Heart
- Building trust and understanding
- Touch as a way to communicate
- Respecting cultural diversity
- What do parents consider before hiring a pediatric sleep consultant?
- Code of ethics
IMS421 Safe Infant Sleep
In this course, students learn about:
- SIDS awareness and prevention
- Safe sleep recommendations
- Factors influencing sleep choices
- Techniques for having effective conversations about SIDS with parents that can help offset potential issues
- Safe co-sleeping with babies. Supporting parents who believe that co-sleeping is the right choice for them.
- Breastfeeding and bed-sharing.
- Safe sleep for twins
- Safe co-bedding arrangements
IMS425 Infant Sleep from Birth to 4 Months
In this course, students learn about:
- Introduction to infant sleep
- Newborn's short naps
- Newborn's night waking
- Sleep associations
- Breastfeeding and sleep
- Gentle methods to help babies at this age sleep well during the day and night
- Gentle alternatives to sleep training and soothing methods for infants
- Bedtime routine for infants
- Helping infants distinguish day from night
- Signs of tiredness
- The birth of the term “sleep regression”
- What is the reason behind the so-called “4-month sleep regression”?
- What symptoms are associated with the 4-month sleep regression?
- Do all infants experience the “4-month sleep regression”?
- How can we avoid or reduce the impact of the “4-month sleep regression”?
- The most common sleep associations
- How to make babies comfortable for sleep?
- Learn to recognize sleeping sounds
IMS111 Infant Sleep 5-12 months
During this course, students learn about:
- Introduction to baby sleep 5 to 8 months
- Introduction to baby sleep 9 to 12 months
- How to create a sleep diary
- How to create a sleep diary - step-by-step guide
- Difference between sleep-wake rhythms and sleep schedule
- Awake windows and how to use them as a base to create a healthy sleep-wake rhythm
- Bedtime routines
- How to handle frequent night wakings at this stage
- Short naps at this age
- Early morning wake-ups
- When to change the sleep routine?
- Nap transitions - from 3 to 2 naps
- Teach the baby to fall asleep without using sleep training methods
- What is the easiest way for parents to introduce a comfort object to the baby?
- From co-sleeping to a separate bed
- Healthy sleep for families with twins
IMS739 Solving Toddler and Preschooler Sleep Problems
During this course, students learn about:
- Introduction to toddler and preschooler sleep
- How lack of sleep can affect toddlers
- Creating healthy sleep-wake rhythms for toddlers
- How do you know if the toddler’s bedtime is too late?
- How to determine the ideal bedtime?
- How to find the best time for a child to take a nap?
- Is a sleep schedule really necessary?
- How to create a good bedtime routine for toddlers and preschoolers?
- How can a child smoothly transition from two naps to one?
- Signs the child is ready for the transition from two naps to one
- Step-by-step guide for the transition from two naps to one
- How to end the toddler’s night waking?
- How to teach a child to sleep in her bed?
- Sleeping through the night when breastfeeding and co-sleeping
- How long is the optimal length for a nap?
- What should parents do if their child needs a nap but Will not sleep?
- Bedtime resistance
IMS841 Sleep Training Techniques
Our students become experts in all internationally recognized and safe sleep training methods. Throughout this course, we explore all the different ways of handling crying-"no tears", "let tears" and "cry it out" methods. Our students learn about:
- How to implement the methods
- What to expect when you start implementing a particular method
- In which situations a certain method may not work
- How to choose the best method in various situations
Most importantly, students learn to evaluate the pros and cons of all internationally recognized sleep training methods. They understand the science behind them and learn how to adapt them to the needs of every family. In this way, they know what the right solution is for every child.
Assessments and Constructive Feedback
Our self-paced, distance learning program is designed to inspire and engage.
Practical exercises drawn from real-world scenarios
Engage with authentic real-world case studies, where you can can understand and apply theoretical concepts. These exercises help put theory into practice, by tackling real problems and finding viable solutions. These real-world case studies are chosen for their relevance and applicability, ensuring that the knowledge you gain during your studies is transferrable to your future career. Every exercise is an opportunity for you to grow.
Your progress matters to us. After each case study exam, you will receive feedback to help identify your strengths and areas for growth. Use this as a compass to navigate your learning journey and continuously improve.
Working on case study exams
These exams are designed to mimic the challenges faced in real-world situations, and provide an opportunity for you to apply the knowledge you have learned in a practical way. After completing these exams, you will receive feedback from your teachers. This feedback is intended to highlight your areas of strength and identify where there is room for improvement.
The Learning Journey:
How It Works?
Experience the student journey firsthand and learn how to become a successful child sleep consultant. We use Canvas, an effective learning management platform, to ensure our students get the best possible educational experience. Canvas helps us facilitate your learning by allowing you to study at your own pace and from any location.
Ready to get started? Learn more about how Canvas is used in our programs and how it can help you reach your goals as a child sleep consultant.
Frequently Asked Questions
Quality of Our Programs
We are determined to uphold the quality of our programs. You will be prepared to work with families independently as Pediatric Sleep Consultants or alongside your current role as a nurse, nanny, preschool teacher or a lactation consultant.
We believe that our students should have access to the most comprehensive distance learning education and we provide:
- International certification that parents trust
- 3-month program that offers an immersive educational journey
- Affordable education
- Getting know-how from experienced child sleep consultants with a healthy and holistic approach to child sleep
- Study resources written by our teachers - professionals with backgrounds in healthcare, psychology, consulting and business
- Top-of-the-line distance online education. Our institute uses Canvas LMS. This is a Learning Management System that is easy to use and intuitive. We are proud to use Canvas because it is one of the world's top educational platforms and it is trusted by some of the best universities in the world, including Harvard, Stanford, Berkeley, and many more.
- Expertise to help any family who needs support and guidance when their child has sleep problems