Pediatric Sleep Consultant Advanced Program
Pediatric Sleep Consultants (also known as Child Sleep Consultants, Baby Sleep Consultants, Baby Sleep Coaches, and Infant Sleep Coaches) are people with various backgrounds who help families struggling with behavioral childhood sleep problems. They are good listeners with solid communication skills, and they are passionate about helping others.
Families turn to the Child Sleep Consultant for a wide range of sleep issues: frequent night wakings, short naps, early morning wakings, resisting falling asleep, nightmares, moving to a separate room, and many others. Sleep consultants help children achieve healthy sleep and advise parents on how to solve various behavioral sleep problems.
Although pediatric sleep consultants are not medical providers, pediatricians often refer families to them when children need some type of individualized sleep coaching. These consultants fill the need for educated professionals who can solve most behavioral sleep problems with children.
Millions of families need support and guidance to help their children sleep better. Our program will help you learn all the needed skills to become a successful Pediatric Sleep Consultant.
Are you looking for a career transformation? Or maybe you are just searching for a part-time role for added income? Our program is created for everyone. We deliver knowledge in clear, accessible terms, enabling you to confidently step into this new role!
This is more than just a job – it's an opportunity to make a real difference. Improve children's sleep, bring relief to families. No matter who you are, this path is open to you.
A certification in Pediatric Sleep Consulting is also suitable for professionals who have a background in related fields, such as midwives, nurses, lactation consultants, child care professionals, preschool teachers, and child psychologists. Our program helps these professionals extend their knowledge of child sleep and learn new approaches for solving behavioral childhood sleep problems. In this way, they can add value to their patients or clients.
This is a self-paced distance learning program. You can take all of the classes from the comfort of your home.
It typically takes about 6 month to complete the program if you study 6-8 hours per week.
This certification is not an online badge or a certificate you can obtain in a hurry. The Pediatric Sleep Consultant Advanced Program certificate indicates to parents that you have invested in a robust training program, one that is grounded in credible practices and methods. In a field where the first thing parents often look for is trust, having a recognized certification shows you are serious and committed to your role as a sleep consultant.
The average price for a single 90-minute consultation ranges from $200 to $500, depending on the consultant's experience and location.
Online consulting with follow-up calls (for 1 family) costs between $800 and $1,500. It can include:
- Sleep consultation: a 90-minute virtual call
- Personalized sleep plan: it takes about 2 hours to create the plan
- 4 weeks (on average) of Q&A support (virtual via FB Messenger / Snapchat / WhatsApp/ Viber) - 10-20 mins per day answering additional questions or adapting the personalised sleep plan according to the child’s needs.
How much should you charge as a consultant ? How many families can you help per month? This is your business and it will be your decision to make.
Suitable for Every Learner
Why the Advanced Program?
Some of the reasons most graduates decide to become certified pediatric sleep consultants
Profitable and Rewarding Business
Helping the Community
Еasily balance family and work
Our graduates work on their own terms
Some of our graduates come from careers such as midwives, nurses, child care, preschool teachers, child psychologists, and lactation consultants. Our program helped these professionals extend their knowledge of child sleep and learn new approaches for solving behavioral childhood sleep problems. In this way, they can add value to their patients or clients.
Program Approved by WACSC
IMS511 Science of Sleep
In this course students learn:
- Neurobiology of sleep and wakefulness
- Sleep-wake regulation
- Circadian rhythms and how they affect sleep and health
- An in-depth look into children's sleep
- How sleep patterns change with age
- Newborns and Infants Sleep
- Toddlers sleep
- Young children sleep
- Pubertal development and sleep
- Sleep and dreams
- Why should we encourage healthy sleep habits?
IMS101 Introduction to Pediatric Sleep Consulting
An introduction to Pediatric Sleep Consulting. The role of the child sleep consultant: students review expectations and boundaries.
- The role of the sleep consultant
- Limits of professional competency
- What are some of the ways that pediatric sleep consultants can help families?
- Pediatric sleep consultant skills & qualifications
- The importance of tuning in: Building positive relationships with parents
- Communication from the Heart
- Building trust and understanding
- Touch as a way to communicate
- Respecting cultural diversity
- What do parents consider before hiring a pediatric sleep consultant?
- Code of ethics
IMS421 Safe Infant Sleep
In this course, students learn about:
- SIDS awareness and prevention
- Safe sleep recommendations
- Factors influencing sleep choices
- Techniques for having effective conversations about SIDS with parents that can help offset potential issues
- Safe co-sleeping with babies. Supporting parents who believe that co-sleeping is the right choice for them.
- Breastfeeding and bed-sharing.
- Safe sleep for twins
- Safe co-bedding arrangements
IMS425 Infant Sleep from Birth to 4 Months
In this course, students learn about:
- Introduction to infant sleep
- Newborn's short naps
- Newborn's night waking
- Sleep associations
- Breastfeeding and sleep
- Gentle methods to help babies at this age sleep well during the day and night
- Gentle alternatives to sleep training and soothing methods for infants
- Bedtime routine for infants
- Helping infants distinguish day from night
- Signs of tiredness
- The birth of the term “sleep regression”
- What is the reason behind the so-called “4-month sleep regression”?
- What symptoms are associated with the 4-month sleep regression?
- Do all infants experience the “4-month sleep regression”?
- How can we avoid or reduce the impact of the “4-month sleep regression”?
- The most common sleep associations
- How to make babies comfortable for sleep?
- Learn to recognize sleeping sounds
IMS431 Growth Spurts and Developmental Leaps
In this course students have the opportunity to learn about growth spurts, developmental leaps and how they affect child sleep - from birth to 24 month.
- What Are Baby Growth Spurts?
- When Do Babies Have Growth Spurts?
- What Is a Mental Leap?
- When Do Babies Have Mental Leaps?
- What Is the Difference Between a Growth Spurt and a Mental Leap?
- 1st Leap: Week 5
- 2nd Leap: Week 8
- 3rd Leap: Week 12
- 4th Leap: Week 19
- 5th Leap: Week 26
- 6th Leap: Week 37
- 7th Leap: Week 46
- 8th Leap: Week 55
- 9th Leap: Week 64
- 10th Leap: Week 70
IMS111 Infant Sleep 5-12 months
During this course, students learn about:
- Introduction to baby sleep 5 to 8 months
- Introduction to baby sleep 9 to 12 months
- How to create a sleep diary
- How to create a sleep diary - step-by-step guide
- Difference between sleep-wake rhythms and sleep schedule
- Awake windows and how to use them as a base to create a healthy sleep-wake rhythm
- Bedtime routines
- How to handle frequent night wakings at this stage
- Short naps at this age
- Early morning wake-ups
- When to change the sleep routine?
- Nap transitions - from 3 to 2 naps
- Teach the baby to fall asleep without using sleep training methods
- What is the easiest way for parents to introduce a comfort object to the baby?
- From co-sleeping to a separate bed
- Healthy sleep for families with twins
IMS739 Solving Toddler and Preschooler Sleep Problems
During this course, students learn about:
- Introduction to toddler and preschooler sleep
- How lack of sleep can affect toddlers
- Creating healthy sleep-wake rhythms for toddlers
- How do you know if the toddler’s bedtime is too late?
- How to determine the ideal bedtime?
- How to find the best time for a child to take a nap?
- Is a sleep schedule really necessary?
- How to create a good bedtime routine for toddlers and preschoolers?
- How can a child smoothly transition from two naps to one?
- Signs the child is ready for the transition from two naps to one
- Step-by-step guide for the transition from two naps to one
- How to end the toddler’s night waking?
- How to teach a child to sleep in her bed?
- Sleeping through the night when breastfeeding and co-sleeping
- How long is the optimal length for a nap?
- What should parents do if their child needs a nap but Will not sleep?
- Bedtime resistance
IMS304 Attachment Theory and Child Sleep
In this course students learn about attachment theory, how it affects child sleep and how parents can help their children cope with separation anxiety.
- Introduction to attachment theory
- Attachment styles
- The genetics-attachment debat
- Earned secure attachment
- Attachment parenting and infant sleep
- Breaking the myth of perfect parenting: Insights from Duke university
- Introduction to separation anxiety
- What facts do we know about separation anxiety?
- What makes the child have separation anxiety?
- How can you tell if the baby has separation anxiety?
- In what situations do toddlers experience separation anxiety?
- Why does separation anxiety affect the child’s sleep?
- How to help children cope with separation anxiety
IMS841 Sleep Training Techniques
Our students become experts in all internationally recognized sleep training methods. Throughout this course, we explore all the different ways of handling crying-"no tears", "let tears" and "cry it out" methods. Our students learn about:
- How to implement the methods
- What to expect when you start implementing a particular method
- In which situations a certain method may not work
- How to choose the best method in various situations
Most importantly, students learn to evaluate the pros and cons of all internationally recognized sleep training methods. They understand the science behind them and learn how to adapt them to the needs of every family. In this way, they know what the right solution is for every child.
IMS435 Conditions Affecting Sleep
IMS437 Introduction to Sleep Disorders
During this course students learn about various physiological conditions that disturb sleep.
- Bad dreams
- Night terrors
- Sleep Talking
According to several studies most sleep disorders go undiagnosed and untreated. This course helps students learn which disorders are appropriate for consultation and which should be immediately referred on to medical professionals.
IMS903 Sleep Plan Workshop
In this course students learn:
- The value of sleep diary
- What is a sleep plan?
- How to structure it?
- What information should be included (or not included) in a sleep plan?
- How to analyse a sleep questionnaire?
- How to analyse a sleep log?
- How to create a successful sleep plan to resolve a particular sleep issue?
During this course students have the opportunity to review case studies from experienced pediatric sleep consultants. They will be able to evaluate sleep questionnaires from actual clients and learn valuable lessons.
Assessment: At the end of the workshop students receive a case study and they should create a written sleep plan using the knowledge they gained during this course of study.
IMS905 Working with Families
During this course students learn about:
- How to approach parents in a considerate and professional way
- Applying empathy and active listening during pediatric sleep consultations
- Guiding families to identify sleep problems and coaching to find appropriate solutions
- How to effectively communicate with parents the best methods available to them based on their individual needs
- Various parenting styles and how to adapt sleep training according to their individual needs, values and philosophy
- Postpartum blues, depression and anxiety. Knowing the signs that require medical attention and when to refer out
- In some cases, sleep training could not be a good solution for the child’s needs. When should consultants refer their clients to another professional - doctors, psychologists, therapists, lactation consultants or nutrition specialists.
- How to build and maintain healthy boundaries
- Navigating difficult parental attitudes in child sleep consulting: Strategies for success
- When should consultants refer their clients to another professional - doctors, psychologists, therapists, lactation consultants or nutrition specialists.
- Consulting sleep deprived parents
- Structuring sleep consultations for success
- Navigating doubts and misconceptions: A guide for child sleep consultants on addressing parental concerns and building trust
- Mastering the art of child sleep consulting: Combining knowledge, skills, and experience
IMS907 The Business of Sleep Consulting. Marketing Strategies and Techniques
During this course students learn about:
- What is marketing?
- The Marketing Mix
- The Strategic Marketing Planning Process
- Marketing for child sleep consultants: How to reach and connect with parents
- Pricing strategies that sell: A guide for sleep consultants
- How to build a successful brand?
- What is your value proposition?
- Building a storybrand: Using the power of storytelling in marketing
- How to position yourself as the go-to expert in your city?
- Creating value through giving
- Introduction to Digital Marketing
- Get to know your ideal customer: A step-by-step guide to creating a buyer persona for child sleep consultants
- Creating a winning social media strategy for child sleep consultants. The step-by-step guide
- Making your website and social media stand out as a child sleep consultant
- The science of selling: An ethical guide for harnessing the power of psychological triggers
- Instagram proven growth strategies: 0 to 10K+ followers. Step-by-step guide for child sleep consultants
- How to create a successful marketing strategy with 0 budget?
- Building a stylish and successful website
- Introduction to SEO. Rank your website higher on Google. Effective techniques that anyone can do.
Assessments and Constructive Feedback
Our self-paced, distance learning program is designed to inspire and engage.
Practical exercises drawn from real-world scenarios
Engage with authentic real-world case studies, where you can can understand and apply theoretical concepts. These exercises help put theory into practice, by tackling real problems and finding viable solutions. These real-world case studies are chosen for their relevance and applicability, ensuring that the knowledge you gain during your studies is transferrable to your future career. Every exercise is an opportunity for you to grow.
Your progress matters to us. After each case study exam, you will receive feedback to help identify your strengths and areas for growth. Use this as a compass to navigate your learning journey and continuously improve.
Working on case study exams
These exams are designed to mimic the challenges faced in real-world situations, and provide an opportunity for you to apply the knowledge you have learned in a practical way. After completing these exams, you will receive feedback from your teachers. This feedback is intended to highlight your areas of strength and identify where there is room for improvement.
The Learning Journey: How It Works?
Experience the student journey and learn how to become a successful child sleep consultant. We use Canvas, an effective learning management platform, to ensure our students get the best possible educational experience. Canvas helps us facilitate your learning by allowing you to study at your own pace and from any location.
Ready to get started? Learn more about how Canvas is used in our programs and how it can help you reach your goals as a child sleep consultant.
Frequently Asked Questions
Quality of Our Programs
We are determined to uphold the quality of our programs. You will be prepared to work with families independently as Pediatric Sleep Consultants or alongside your current role as a nurse, nanny, preschool teacher or a lactation consultant.
We believe that our students should have access to the most comprehensive distance learning education and we provide:
- International Certification that parents trust
- 6-month program that offers an immersive educational journey
- Affordable education
- Getting know-how from experienced child sleep consultants with a healthy and holistic approach to child sleep
- Study resources written by our teachers - professionals with backgrounds in healthcare, psychology, consulting and business
- Top-of-the-line distance online education. Our institute uses Canvas LMS. This is a state-of-the-art Learning Management System that is easy to use and intuitive. We are proud to use Canvas because it is one of the world's top educational platforms and it is trusted by some of the best universities in the world, including Harvard, Stanford, Berkeley, and many more.
- Expertise to help any family who needs support and guidance when their child has sleep problems
- Knowledge and the ability to create a successful and profitable business